Thursday, July 28, 2011

Review: Forever

Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

Teaser from Barnes and Noble

In Maggie Stiefvater's SHIVER, Grace and Sam found each other. In LINGER, they fought to be together. Now, in FOREVER, the stakes are even higher than before. Wolves are being hunted. Lives are being threatened. And love is harder and harder to hold on to as death comes closing in.

First Reaction:

I bought my copy of Forever at a Maggie Stiefvater signing, which I have to say made the book a little less exciting when I acctully began to read it because I already had an idea of some of the events that were going to take place in the book. I had high hopes that this book would make up for the fact that I gave Linger three and a half stars after giving five to shiver, and I'm not fully satisfied.

Possible spoilers for those who have not read Shiver and Linger

Characters:

Grace: Grace is now a girl who turns wolf in the cold and human in the summer after getting bitten by Cold at the end of Linger because she was about to die from a failed "cure". She is in love with Sam and wants nothing more than to spend the rest of her life with him, but wolf hunting and the fact that she is a wolf is making that harder and harder.

Sam: Sam used to be a wolf until he got a cure that kept him human. He is in love with Grace and also wants to be with her Forever.

Cole: Cole used to be part of a popular band but now becomes a wolf in the winter and human in the summer. As a kid he was the son of a Scientist and began to follow in his fathers footsteps until he chose the band over science and is trying to figure out how the wolf body works to cure the pack.

Isabel: A friend of Grace, Sam, and Cole who knows about the wolves after her brother became one than died trying to cure himself.  

Review:
Like all of the books, there was nothing wrong with the writing or details, my big problem was the ending. Once I reread the last line a bunch of times trying to figure out what had happened all I can think is "Really Maggie?" The book has no solid ending leaving you wonder what happened to the characters and if I hadn't known this was the last book I would have thought there was another it was so vague.

Liked it... but not great.

1 comment: