Monday, September 12, 2011

Review: Nightlight, a Parody

Nightlight, a Parody by The Harvard Lampoon

Pages: 154
Publisher: Vintage
Publication Date: November 3rd 2009
Copy: Paperback
Copy received by: Borrowed from Friend

Teaser from Goodreads

About three things I was absolutely certain. First, Edwart was most likely my soul mate, maybe. Second, there was a vampire part of him–which I assumed was wildly out of his control–that wanted me dead. And third, I unconditionally, irrevocably, impenetrably, heterogeneously, gynecologically, and disreputably wished he had kissed me.
~
And thus Belle Goose falls in love with the mysterious and sparkly Edwart Mullen in the Harvard Lampoon’s hilarious send-up of Twilight.

Pale and klutzy, Belle arrives in Switchblade, Oregon looking for adventure, or at least an undead classmate. She soon discovers Edwart, a super-hot computer nerd with zero interest in girls. After witnessing a number of strange events–Edwart leaves his tater tots untouched at lunch! Edwart saves her from a flying snowball!–Belle has a dramatic revelation: Edwart is a vampire. But how can she convince Edwart to bite her and transform her into his eternal bride, especially when he seems to find girls so repulsive?
Complete with romance, danger, insufficient parental guardianship, creepy stalker-like behavior, and a vampire prom, Nightlight is the uproarious tale of a vampire-obsessed girl, looking for love in all the wrong places.



Review

 When I first read the Twilight books I did quite like them. This parody of the saga is a very energetic and humorous take on the books, and has some very interesting points.

The characters have very different personalities in this book than in the original saga. Belle (Bella) is portrayed as a clueless vampire fanatic who is vain and very insistent on making herself heard. Edwart (Edward) is a computer game nerd/ cleanliness freak who doesn't seem to have any interest in Belle until late in the book.

As a parody I found this very fun and a good quick read, but as a book I felt it lacked thought. It was very packed with attempts and jokes and many of them I found very childlike instead of funny.

I applaud the Harvard Lampoon for there very fun book, and if you're looking for a book that pokes fun at Twilight, this may very well be your thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment