Sunday, November 6, 2011

Review: Frost

Frost by Marrianna Baer

Publisher: Balzer & Bray
Publication date: September 13th 2011
Pages: 400
Copy Type: Hardcover
Copy Received by: Borrowed from Library
Genre: Haunting
Sub-genre: Romance

Goodreads Amazon Barnes and Noble

Leena Thomas’s senior year at boarding school begins with a shock: Frost House, her cozy dorm of close friends, has been assigned an unexpected roommate: confrontational, eccentric Celeste Lazar. But while Leena’s anxiety about a threat to her sanctuary proves valid, it becomes less and less clear whether the threat lies with her new roommate, within Leena’s own mind, or within the very nature of Frost House itself. Mysterious happenings in the dorm, an intense triangle between Leena, Celeste, and Celeste’s brother, and the reawakening of childhood fears, all push Leena to take increasingly desperate measures to feel safe. Frost is the story of a haunting. As to whether the demons are supernatural or psychological . . . well, which answer would let you sleep at night?

This is the kind of book that you end up thinking about long after you finish reading it. This was my Halloween read because I had been told that it had a sort of creepy factor which is quite true. Leena is very drawn to Frost house while her temporary roommate is convinced that the house wants her gone.

My favorite part of the book is the ending where the ending isn't really complete and you don't really know for sure what happened. It gives you something to think about and makes the book something you really can't forget. 

A draw back of the book is I felt little to no connection to any of the characters including the main character, Leena. They all fell flat for me personality wise and I often confused Leena's two friends. David, Leena's boyfriend bugged me an awful lot. He seemed much to over protective of his sister (Leena's roommate) excepted his sister's belief that the dorm was out to get her much to easily. 

This book was mildly creepy but I didn't really get creeped out at all and I wish that the scary parts had really made that impression on me.

1 comment:

  1. I've really been wanting to read this one because I love that general creepy feeling that it's said to have. I'm a little wary of the ending though. I hate ambiguous endings, they drive me nuts! :P

    ReplyDelete