Thursday, December 1, 2011

Review: Crossed

Crossed by Ally Condie

Publisher: Dutton
Publication Date: November 1st 2011
Pages: 367
Copy Type: Hardcover
Source: Bought
Genre: Dystopian, Romance
Sub-Genre: Adventure
Goodreads

In search of a future that may not exist and faced with the decision of who to share it with, Cassia journeys to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky - taken by the Society to his certain death - only to find that he has escaped, leaving a series of clues in his wake.

Cassia's quest leads her to question much of what she holds dear, even as she finds glimmers of a different life across the border. But as Cassia nears resolve and certainty about her future with Ky, an invitation for rebellion, an unexpected betrayal, and a surprise visit from Xander - who may hold the key to the uprising and, still, to Cassia's heart - change the game once again. Nothing is as expected on the edge of Society, where crosses and double crosses make the path more twisted than ever.


Crossed is the second book in the very popular Matched trilogy. I read Matched a little while after it came out, which was before I had started blogging and loved the book. Matched is a beautifully written romance that is very easy to see in your head.

Corssed is told in two perspectives, Ky's and Cassia's. I felt like I connected with Ky's character much more than I did Cassia's in this story because she really doesn't seem to know what she wants or what she is getting herself into. Ky however has a much stronger minded character and he seems easier to connect with. 
 
The story that the book told was fairly uneventful and seemed to drag out much longer than it should have. Most of the book was the characters traveling and there really wasn't much story to be told for either character.

The romance seemed pretty fake in most of the book. The only time I really felt like the characters where meant to be together was when the see each other for the first time and then afterwards the romance falls apart. It seems like they really had no time to know each other before coming across their obstetricals and now their connection isn't as strong as the characters thought it was. 

The ending was fairly disappointing, it felt a lot like the end of the first book and there really wasn't a whole lot accomplished in the story.    

2 comments:

  1. I may not read Crossed. I liked Matched but I've heard other people (like you) who say Crossed was a let down. Thanks for the honest review!

    -Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read Matched (a loooong time ago) but I haven't read Crossed. I won it in a giveaway, but I haven't had time to pick it up yet. I'm sorry you didn't like it. I thought Matched was a little slow and bit dull at first, but I hope I like Crossed better. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
    ~Shelby
    http://gobsandgobsofbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete