Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Review: Five Flavors of Dumb

Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John

Publisher: Dail
Publication Date: November 10th 2010
Pages: 338
Copy: Paperback
Source: Library
Genre: Contemporary
Goodreads

The Challenge: Piper has one month to get the rock band Dumb a paying gig.

The Deal: If she does it, Piper will become the band's manager and get her share of the profits.

The Catch: How can Piper possibly manage one egomaniacal pretty boy, one talentless piece of eye candy, one crush, one silent rocker, and one angry girl? And how can she do it when she's deaf?

Piper can't hear Dumb's music, but with growing self-confidence, a budding romance, and a new understanding of the decision her family made to buy a cochlear implant for her deaf baby sister, she discovers her own inner rock star and what it truly means to be a flavor of Dumb.

I absolutely adore this book! This is one of my top contemporary books ever. Antony John has put together very distinct and loveable characters that readers fall in love with, along with an awesome story line and a little drama this books is a favorite! 


Piper, The main character is the first character I have ever run across in YA that is deaf, and I love the uniqueness of her. Because she is deaf, ASL (American Sign Language) is used in the book in italics when it is used to communicate. The addition of ASL is great, as long as funny at times when it is used to as a sort of code to keep other people from understanding. It's also very interesting to read a book from the view of someone who can hear very little to nothing at all. Especially when she's managing a band. 


I'm not going to say who... but there is someone in the band who likes Piper and I find it extremely cute! Even though I saw it coming, it was so interesting to see how the truth of his feelings is revealed to Piper.  


I really haven't read many books before that  have musical aspects in them other than musical characters (character who play instruments) and I liked the use of music in the story. Music in books not really my favorite thing in stories, because I think it's really hard for a book to describe a song. 

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, a five star review. I think it's definitely time to add this one to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the great review, Erika. I'm delighted you enjoyed DUMB, and that you found the relationship with you-know-who cute!

    ReplyDelete