Friday, March 23, 2012

Review: Catching Jordan

Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally

Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Publication Date: December 1st 2011
Pages: 281
Format: Paperback
Source: Library
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Goodreads

What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys, and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university. But now there's a new guy in town who threatens her starting position... suddenly she's hoping he'll see her as more than just a teammate.

 "When I open my eyes for a second time, I see Coach staring at us, pulling off his cap and scratching his head. He focuses on his clipboard bu looks up at us again several times before finally going back into the school. This must be the weirdest thing a football coach has ever seen: two quarterbacks making out." -Page 184 of Catching Jordan by Miranda Kenneally
When I got a copy of this to read I dropped all things and I was able to read it in less than a day. I love contemporary romance and I absolutely love kick-butt girl main characters so this book was the best of both worlds. Jordan Woods is the quarterback of a high school (American) football team- a really good quarterback. And we aren't talking about a boy Jordan- no we're talking a girl Jordan on an all boys football team. She's one of the boys and would never date anyone on the team- unless of course a new guy joined-Ty! And then her world becomes infinitely more crazy and confusing 1-She needs to impress the collage of her dreams 2- She's totally falling for Ty 3- What the heck is going on with her best friend Henry who suddenly is all depressed?

Of all the characters I really love all of them, at least in some parts of the book. Jordan has such conflicted feelings throughout the story and it was amazing how quickly I would go from being unsure of a character to loving them and then back to unsure. Jordan's feeling were really shown strongly throughout the story and I really loved that. Other than Jordan my favorite character was Henry. Henry seems like the best best friend in the entire world, and he seems like such a funny guy that I wish he was real. Ty is a very complicated character, he seems so sweet and gorgeous but there was a point in the beginning where he just dumps his feelings and it was a little much in one place. I'm still not sure how I feel about him.

The story in general was well written and full of emotion that was well presented. I love that (American) football was present in the story even though I really don't know all that much about it. Sports stories are a new idea for me but I really like this one. My only dislike about the story was every once and a while there was a chapter that was written as a journal entry and it looked like an attempt at poetry but I didn't find it very poetic at all. I think the story could have done without.


2 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS BOOK! I wasn't sure if I would, because I am definitely not a fan of football, but I really enjoyed it. And I totally agree with you about the journal entries--I didn't really like them and I don't think they were necessary. But that is my only complaint about the book!
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Football is certainly not my thing, but I've heard so many amazing things about this one that I'll definitely be giving it a shot.

    ReplyDelete