Thursday, March 15, 2012

Review: Goddess Interrupted

Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter
Sequel to The Goddess Test [My Review of the First Book]

Publisher: HarlequinTeen
Publication Date: March 27th 2012
Pages: 304
Format: ARC
Source: Won From Jen at YA Romatics
Genre: Paranormal, Romance
Goodreads

Kate Winters has won immortality.

But if she wants a life in the Underworld with Henry, she’ll have to fight for it.

Becoming immortal wasn’t supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she’s as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he’s becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate’s coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans.

As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future.

Henry’s first wife, Persephone
 Though the Goddess Test wasn't my favorite book, I was hopeful that it's sequel would be more developed and the story would be stronger. My favorite part of the first book was how interesting and creative plot was. I'm glad to be able to say that my hopes for a good plot where not let down. This sequel has many of the same pros and cons as the first however.

My only real issue with this book is that I really don't like the characters. Kate, the main character is a very pessimistic and sarcastic character character. Ever time someone says something she automatically seems to take it very personally and her narration is very negative. The love interest, Henry also doesn't really make it to a good place with me. Henry is very unwilling to show affection and refuses to stand up for himself and I really do not like how he treats Kate.

The reason I really continued to read this series is because of the plot. Carter seems to be very good at creating a plot that makes a reader wonder what's going to happen next. She also has a very interesting way of making the setting very enchanting and visual. I can never really guess what's going to happen next in either of the books and I really like that its unpredictable.

Overall this book is right down the middle for me. Characters are such an important piece of a story that it's really hard to overlook when they aren't well developed. For people who are fans of the first book, by all means I suggest you read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment