Monday, July 2, 2012

Review: Demon Glass

Demonglass by Rachel Hawkins

Sequel to Hex Hall
Publisher: Hyperion Book CH
Publication Date: March 22 2011
Pages: 368
Source: Library
Genre: Paranormal, Romance
Goodreads

Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?
My review will have spoilers for the first book in the series.

 Demonglass is the fabulous sequel to Hex Hall as it continues Sophie's story as she finds out more about her self after finding out that she was indeed not a witch like she once though, but a quarter demon. Just as the last book does, Demonglass has a very fun, interesting and funny writing style that is lots of fun to read. It was a great book that continued to develope many of the characters from the last book as well as bringing back a few characters that were left with unfinished stories in the first book.

Just like in the first book I loved Sophie, she is  very funny and sarcastic. Sophie has a lot of struggles and challenges that are placed in front of her that she has to overcome. The only thing I really don't like about Sophie is that there really isn't anything else that I can use to describe her other than funny. She could be so much more to Sophie if she had some sort of hobby or other describing feature to her. There were a lot of surprising twists and turns in this book that I think were really well written because they were so unexpected. One of my favorite parts about this books is the return of Archer [insert dramatic sigh]. There wasn't much of Archer in Hex Hall, and I really love that he was brought back in the story. Sophie and Archer have this pretty generic Romeo and Juliet forbidden romance (Don't worry- no insta-love in this book!) thing going on- but for some reason I really like them together. Unlike Hex Hall, Demonglass takes place not at the school, but at the council's headquarters where Sophie is getting to know her dad. At first I wasn't sure how I felt about the scene change of the book but I really came to love it and I think it was the perfect setting for this second book!

Demonglass was the perfect sequel to Hex Hall and I really can't imagine it being any better! I am eagerly waiting to get my hands on the third book to find out what all happens after such a cliffhanger ending! Highly recommended!


3 comments:

  1. Ok, so I skimmed it a little because I haven't read the first book but I am so happy you enjoyed this, I have to read this series soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay I'm so glad that you enjoyed this one!! I really loved Sophie and her humor, and yes, I also liked Archer. ;) I loved the romance between them, especially because it was not insta-love, which made me ridiculously excited! Because, you know, I hate insta-love. =P Anyways, I also really liked the change of the setting! I thought it was perfect as well. You're so lucky that you didn't have to wait a whole year for Spell Bound, Erika, because I had to! Because that ending is seriously killer. I hope you end up enjoying the last book!

    Fabulous review, Erika! <3

    -Aneeqah @ My Not So Real Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Demonglass is definitely one of the best sequels I've read. I'm super curious to see what you think about Spell Bound. I thought it was good, but not as great as the first two. It could've been my mood, though.

    ReplyDelete