Monday, August 27, 2012

Review: Saving June

Saving June by Hannah Harrington 

Publisher: Harlequin
Publication Date: November 22 2011
Pages: 322
Source: Harlequin Teen Panel
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
Goodreads

When her older sister commits suicide and her divorcing parents decide to divide the ashes, Harper Scott takes her sister's urn to the one place June always wanted to go: California. On the road with her best friend, plus an intriguing guy with a mysterious connection to June, Harper discovers truths about her sister, herself and life.

Saving June just left me completely... speechless. I absolutely LOVED this book. The moment I read the synopsis I knew that I would love it. Not only is Saving June a road trip book (which always rock) but it had a very powerful story that went along with it. Harper's older sister committed suicide and now her divorced parents are about to split her ashes. To stop her sister's ashes from being split in half, Harper takes her sister's ashes and along with her best friend and a mysterious boy who had been tutored by June, they head to California where June had always wanted to live to spread her ashes.

I really liked the fact that it was a road trip  book. I've only read a few like it and I've loved them all so far. Road trip books are really just super fun, quick vacations without all the travel costs and I loved that! Books like this also usually have tough issues that are worked out in them and that makes the trips that much more special, like in this book when Harper spreads June's ashes and figures out all that June had  been going through before she committed suicide.

The characters are really what made this book special. Harper is the main character and I really admire her bravery for even going on this trip to spread her sister's ashes. On this trip she goes with her best friend Laney, who is an amazing supporting character who is always there for Harper even though she is also going through a lot of crap in her life, I really can't imagine the book without her. The one other companion Harper takes with on the trip is the very mysterious Jake who suddenly shows up at her sister's funeral and then offers to take them on the trip. Jake wasn't really my type of guy exactly though he was really interesting and was totally obsessed with music which had a big part in the story.

Finally, I really enjoyed the ending. By the end all the loose ends were tied and there was possibility of a happy ending for all of the characters without being too vague, a must read!


No comments:

Post a Comment