Thursday, May 9, 2013

Review: Boundless

Boundless by Cynthia Hand

Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: January 22nd 2013
Pages: 438
Source: Library
Genre: Paranormal, Romance
Goodreads

The past few years have held more surprises than part-angel Clara Gardner could ever have anticipated. Yet from the dizzying highs of first love, to the agonizing low of losing someone close to her, the one thing she can no longer deny is that she was never meant to live a normal life.

Since discovering the special role she plays among the other angel-bloods, Clara has been determined to protect Tucker Avery from the evil that follows her . . . even if it means breaking both their hearts. Leaving town seems like the best option, so she’s headed back to California - and so is Christian Prescott, the irresistible boy from the vision that started her on this journey in the first place.

As Clara makes her way in a world that is frighteningly new, she discovers that the fallen angel who attacked her is watching her every move. And he’s not the only one. . . . With the battle against the Black Wings looming, Clara knows she must finally fulfill her destiny. But it won’t come without sacrifices and betrayal.

In the riveting finale of the Unearthly series, Clara must decide her fate once and for all.

Oh, Boundless. I started reading this series about the time I started my blog, about two years ago, liked it, but not overmuch. I read Hallowed a few months ago and started to really get into the story, and now I just finished Boundless. It took me a long time to read this book, but not because I didn't like it, just because of life. I really did like this book, it felt like an ending to the story, an ending this book needed.

Of course this series has a love triangle, which you might know from the other two books. This is probably the most conflicting love triangle I have ever read in my life. I liked Tucker in Unearthly, and then started edging toward Christian in Hallowed, and now I really don't have a preference. I felt like the romance really wasn't a very big part of this book and I really liked that. The relationships just sort of fit in when they were necessary, and that was it.

Boundless takes place in many different locations, and I liked that for the most part. It was a nice change for the book to have a different setting, but at times the scene changes were a little disorienting. Sometimes the new locations were hard to get into due to all of the description and action going on at once in the book, but not too often. I really liked that part of the book took place in Clara's home in California, and Stanford. Both locations made this book a lot more interesting in emotional in some ways.

Sometimes I felt like Clara had her priorities messed up, and that kind of bugged me. It's been a little while since I read Hallowed, so some of the details I had forgotten. Things would just be normal and then all of a sudden something huge would be mentions, like the fact that her  brother ran away, and she didn't really seem that concerned. That just seemed weird to me.

I love the resolution this book left us with. I like how this book really didn't have a huge BANG fight seen at the end, and the end drama was more spread out. It made the book a little easier to chew. The epologue was also... just adorable. I'm glad that the book ended the way it did, and that Clara chose the once she chose.

Goodbye Clara.

No comments:

Post a Comment