Saturday, August 13, 2011

Review: Falling Under

Falling Under by Gwen Hayes

Pages: 324
Type of Copy: Paperback
Received by: Borrowed from Library
Publisher: New America Library



Teaser from Gwen Hayes' Website

In her dreams he's irresistible--seductive, charming, and undoubtedly dangerous. But when he appears to her when she's awake--and captivates her just the same--she's not sure which way is up and which is down.

Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life, not allowed the same freedoms as the rest of the teenagers in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, she feels every urge she's ever denied burning through her at the slightest glance from Haden Black. Theia knows she's seen Haden before--not around town, but in her dreams.
Theia doesn't understand how she dreamed of Haden before they ever met, but every night has them joined in a haunting world of eerie fantasy. And as the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her forward one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear. And as she slowly discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul.


First reaction: 


Okay, the main reason I requested this book from the library is because I love the cover. Who wouldn't? Of course I do find that covers with blond, curly haired girls is being a bit overused these days I really found this one quite enchanting. I love the black roses she's laying on and that she has on a necklace that is mentioned in the book. 

In the first few pages of the book, what really caught my eye was that the main character is from England, and living in America so the most distinct characteristic would probably be her accent, though I wish that British "lingo" had been incorporated a little more in the book. That would have been fun. 

I loved the main character's name. Theia is such a beautiful name, and so different from the names you hear.

Review 

I'm glad that this book didn't take the recent path of the vampire/demon craze, though it did take a similar path: demons. I find that there is a lack in original work in popular books today, this one did okay, but it did seem to branch off of slightly over used topics, though there are books in those topic that I adore.


I didn't really like that the book had sudden blurbs in different points of view in a different font, and then the blurbs didn't happen again for quite a bit later. When books are in different points of view I like it better when they alternate chapters or make it even between the blurbs. 


The ending was a bit difficult for me to comprehend, though I may have been reading a bit fast. I was very curious on how the book could end because some how I had it in my mind that it was a stand alone novel, and then after I finished it I looked it up and there's a second book coming up in January. I'm going to have to read it. 

Like always, feel free to critique my review. Let me know how I could make the review better for you and if I get rambled or side tracked or leave out a piece of info you would like to know about the books I read please comment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment