Thursday, January 10, 2013

Review: Enshadowed

Enshadowed by Kelly Creagh 

Publisher: Atheneum
Publication Date: August 28th 2012
Pages: 429
Source: Library
Genre: Paranormal, Romance
Goodreads


 True love takes a twisted turn in the second book of this modern Gothic romance trilogy channeling the dark brilliance of Edgar Allan Poe.While Varen remains a prisoner in a perilous dream world where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life, Isobel travels to Baltimore to confront the dark figure known throughout the world as the Poe Toaster. This man, the same man who once appeared to Isobel in her dreams and abandoned her in Varen’s nightmare world, holds the key to saving Varen.

     But when Isobel discovers a way to return to this dream world, she finds herself swept up in a realm that not only holds remnants of Edgar Allan Poe’s presence, but has also now taken on the characteristics of Varen’s innermost self. It is a dark world of fear, terror, and anger.

     When Isobel once more encounters Varen, she finds him changed. And now Isobel must face a new adversary—one who also happens to be her greatest love.

The first book in this series became one of my all time favorites when I read it about a year ago. Ever since finishing that last book I have been eagerly awaiting the release of Enshadowed. I had very high expectations for this book, and though I did love this book, I didn't love it as much as I was hoping I would. 

I have to say, I don't think much could have been changed to make this book any better than it was. After what happened at the end of Nevermore, Isobel has a whole lot of stuff to try and deal with. A LOT. There is no way that this book could end up being anything but super emotional and crazy, and it was. I really admired how this book really did emotional and crazy with out it being hard to understand super over the top.

If you have not read Nevermore, first of all I really don't understand why you are reading this review. If you haven't read Nevermore, go to my review of that book. Sorry it's not my best review ever, it's older. Okay. Back on topic. At the end of Nevermore, the book becomes insanely creepy and a bit scary even. There is a lot of creepy in this book. There are several instances where Isobel is haunted in her dreams by various creatures and flat out cruel images that just... well... ruin her life slowly. The creepy was done extremely well.

After what happened in the last book I really liked where this book was taken to move the plot along. It might have been a little better if there had been a little more action, but... at the same time I felt like it was pretty close to perfect. I really don't know how the author could have come up with it. I'm curious to see where the story is taken next!

The only thing that I really didn't like was the lack of Varen. I really wished there had been a little more of him, even thought that's really hard in this situation. There is a scene that involved Varen that just BROKE MY HEART. I got so sad!!

1 comment:

  1. I don't really think this book is going to be for me. BUT I think I have a friend that will be seriously interested! Telling her about it now thanks to you!

    ReplyDelete