Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Slammed, Point of Retreat, and This Girl by Colleen Hoover

Slammed, Point of Retreat, & This Girl by Colleen Hoover
Publisher: Atria
Source: Bought and Library

Layken's mother gets a job which leads to an unwanted move across the country. However, a new home means new neighbours... and Layken's new neighbour is the very attractive Will Cooper.

Will has an intriguing passion for slam poetry, and a matching passion for life. The two feel an irresistible attraction but are rocked to the core when a shocking revelation brings their romance to a screeching halt. Layken and Will must find a way to fight the forces that threaten to tear them apart...or learn to live without each other.

I started this series after hearing endless amazing things about Colleen Hoover's books. Slammed was on my first of her books, I started with Hopeless, which I loved, so I was very excited to start this series when I heard that there was slam poetry involved, since I love all sorts of literary art.

I've recently been in love with the New Adult genre and all that it offers, since it gives a slightly different perspective than that of the Young Adult genre. I love hearing the stories of young adults at the edge of adult hood and their struggles with finding a place in the world on their own, and learning what love means.

This series very quickly became a favorite of mine. I loved how the characters got to know one another despite their strange situation in the first book, and how their relationship grows even more as they get to know each other more and more in the following books.

I loved how slam poetry was used throughout the three books to portray emotions, because I think that writing is one of the most beautiful ways to express yourself, and this book had wonderful, beautiful poetry that I could hear being preformed in my head as I read.

All three books in this series were wonderful. My favorite was defiantly my favorite. I loved Lake's voice in the first book, and how she told the story. I still loved the second and third books, even though I didn't enjoy hearing the continuation of the story from Will's point of view as much as I did Lake's.

I highly recommend this series, especially if you're interested in starting the New Adult genre.

5/5 x3

No comments:

Post a Comment