Sunday, May 25, 2014

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins

Sweet Evil by Wendy Higgins
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: Ebook
Goodreads

Embrace the Forbidden

What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.
Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She's aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but it isn't until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He's the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?

This is one of the few books that I don't share the popular opinion with. I got this book on my nook when it was cheap, remembering it from many people's favorite book lists and from endless high ratings everywhere. I also remembered this book from when it was first getting published from Inkpop, back when I was a member and the site was still a thing, so I felt a strong need to read this book. I read Sweet Evil during Bout of Books 10.0 hoping for a good page turner, and I was surprised when I held the exact opposite opinion.

Why?

1. Lets get through the simple stuff first.
    a. The writing wasn't amazing. I won't say it was horrible, because it wasn't. It was just full of cliches and weird little things that made me cringe.
    b. Wasn't a fan of the main character. She was fine, but I felt not connection and she seemed pretty flat to me. She pretty much went on with everything that was going on, no questions.
    c. The mom in the story was the same way. When she should have been protecting her daughter she just said okay and looked the other way. I don't understand.

2. The use of durgs/alcohol. In YA I tend to expect these topics to be used with a note of caution, or to show how they can be harmful. The fact that the main character barely felt the side effects of the stuff because she was supernatural did not do this.

3. The guy. Kai is the son of Lust, therefore he does a lot of lusty things. If you're going to fall for a guy, this is not what you should be looking for. But in this book, that's just what happens.

In a nutshell, I did not enjoy this book. I'm not sure weather I should thy to continue, because I don't know how any of these points could possibly change at all.

2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment