Sunday, June 1, 2014

Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover

Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover
Publisher: Atria Books
Source: Library
Goodreads

 At twenty-two years old, aspiring musician Sydney Blake has a great life: She’s in college, working a steady job, in love with her wonderful boyfriend, Hunter, and rooming with her good friend, Tori. But everything changes when she discovers Hunter cheating on her with Tori—and she is left trying to decide what to do next.

Sydney becomes captivated by her mysterious neighbor, Ridge Lawson. She can’t take her eyes off him or stop listening to the daily guitar playing he does out on his balcony. She can feel the harmony and vibrations in his music. And there’s something about Sydney that Ridge can’t ignore, either: He seems to have finally found his muse. When their inevitable encounter happens, they soon find themselves needing each other in more ways than one…

It's no secret that I love Colleen Hoover's books. I only discovered her work back in February, and I now only have one book left to read of her published work, and I just can't get enough of it. In every one of her stories I have found Hoover's work to be addicting in every possible way, and Maybe Someday was no exception. I started reading this latest novel, and read through half of it in one sitting (and then got interrupted by life) and then finished it just a few short hours later. If it weren't for a few small bumps in the road I would have definitely call this book my favorite of her work, and it was very close, I promise you.

It's very difficult for me to review this book without giving away things about the characters and the story, because in most cases those are the things that I liked the most about the story. I absolutely loved how Sydney and Ridge interacted an how their story grew because I felt like their connection was real, like they were real.

I love how music was integrated into this story, and if you weren't aware all of the songs in the story have been recorded, you can listen to them on Spotify and probably some other places, and I loved how I could listen to the music that was being created in the story for real, and get a feel of how it might have sounded in the story. I feel like music was one of the biggest reasons why the relationship between the characters grew so well, because they understood one another through their music. 

The 'few bumps in the road' that I mentioned earlier happened near the end of the story, and it's hard, once again, to tell my reasoning without spoilers. I suppose, my best way to explain this without giving anything away is that there is a character named Maggie, and I didn't like the way that she left the story, nor how the story lead up to her leaving. If you've read this book you probably know what I mean.

So, overall, if I ignore that one little point in the story, I'd say this was my favorite of Hoover's books, however, there is that little bit... soooo... I have to knock off a star because I really, really didn't feel like that was a good addition the the story. 

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment