Sunday, June 8, 2014

Thoughts of The Fault in Our Stars Movie

*Do not read this if you have not read the book.

The following is a paragraph I posted on a Nerdfighter group on Facebook on 6/6/14:

Two years ago I found myself picking up a book by a man I knew little about. I had read one of his other books before, but I may never have considered picking up his newest if it weren't for a youtube video I stumbled across. In this video this author, this man, was talking rapidly in his office, in an airport, in front of a van about his newest book and how it had just come out, and about signed copies, and about a girl named Esther Earl that I had never heard of before. Before I knew it I had this man's book in my hands on March 18th 2012, and I read the book in a day. The Fault in Our Stars isn't just a book for some people. It was the start of a bigger world, of a bigger outlook on the world, of a bigger community. I never would have become a nerdfighter if it weren't for a video by a fast talking man in an airport who said just the right things in a 4 minute video that intrigued me pick up his book, and then eventually fall for more than the story but everyone else that loved the story along with me. Today, two years later, I am reminded how one link to one youtube video lead me to one book that lead me to thousands of people in one amazing community, and how that book became one fabulous movie. It's been two years since I picked up that book and I'm now realizing how things could have gone a lot differently if it weren't for that one little video link, and for it I will be eternally grateful.
DFTBA

I really cannot say all of the things I want to say about the TFIOS movie. It was undoubtedly one of the best movie adaptations I have ever seen from a book. I went to see this movie with a few of my friends who had  also read the book upon my recommendation. We all are very satisfied with the way this movie interpreted the book. One of my favorite part about this movie was how it included humor that wasn't necessarily part of the book, and it added to the story in a way that I love so much. In the beginning there was a lot of humor used in the support group scene and I just loved how that that part of the book was interpreted.

Of course there were some parts of the book that were not made into seems movie to cut down on time, but there weren't really any huge ones that I was upset that they didn't include. One that I noticed was not included however, was the scene in which Isaac, Hazel and a Agustus play blind video games, and if you've read the book you probably remember it because of the humor that was used in that scene.

After seeing this adaptation of the book I definitely want to read the book over and over and over again because it just did so much justice to the story and I can't wait to see more of John's books being made into movies in the future. I already own two copies of The Fault in our Stars and I plan to buy the third copy in French sometime in the future so that I might get to read it in that language. I definitely think that you should see this movie if you haven't already and I hope you enjoyed as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment